Saturday, August 18, 2007

tomatoes

Today as been a catch up day in the yard and garden. Our garden exploded in tomatoes again this year, though some rotted before we got home (yuck). I also have a lot of jalapeno peppers to deal with also. Our potatoes did terrible and our catalope looked really good and now they are rotting on the vine before they are even ripe, not sure what that is about.

I am canning. I made some salsa, I made a small batch as it is a new recipie, but will be making more. I also am currently working on tomato sauce. What a mess, I have had a couple of boil overs and my kitchen seems to be covered in tomato juice right now. I hope to also make stewed tomatoes, but am out of wide mouth jars today. It actually a cool day today, so it is not miserable to can today.

Our lawn exploded also. I have to do the trim work, but have not gotten to it yet, so the yard looks terrible. Warren came home early on Thursday to do the large work and burnt his hand on the tail pipe of the mower. He was moving a tree branch out of his way and it snapped back and his hand hit the pipe, not a big burn, but is looks terrible. If you add this injury to the pinched finger that Warren got when we were moving the other lawnmower with a flat tire on it so it would not be lawn art while we were gone, We seem to have a lot of mishaps with lawn mowers.

We also are working on a new project. For those who have been to the place, we have a cement circle in our yard near the house for the old cistern. We are building a small fire pit on top of it so we can use it and it looks like we wanted the circle there. We have the cement and bricks and it's about 1/2 way completed.

That's all for now,

1 comment:

Jennie W said...

Canning - I'm doing that over Labor Day. Pat (my mother-in-law) is coming to help me. Good luck with your salsa!